Is a t3 thyroid level of 2.7 a cause for concern?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I had my thyroid removed in August of 2015 for papillary cancer. I am currently on 224 of synthriod. My free t3 is 2.7, which I have been told is in the lower range of normal. Should it be in a more optimal rage than that for my metabolism to work better.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
Once a person is placed on synthroid, it is not useful to measure free t3 at all.

There are a couple scientific reasons for this.

The first is that free t3 is not relevant in this scenario. Free T4 is the appropriate one. The body makes t3 from T4 in whatever quantity it needs.

Secondly,the test method used to measure free t3 is not very reliable so one can get inconsistent results

So check with your endocrinologist if your TSH and Free T4 are in target range. That will meet treatment goals