• question-icon

Is a strong aversion towards cats normal behavior?

Posted on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 in Relationship
Question: Hi, I am going to describe something that happened years ago, but it has been on my mind lately, and I would really like to know what you think of the following event. XXXXXXX was living in the Park City, Utah area, and found himself in need of a new living situation. One of his possibilities was a nice guy, but the guy had a cat. XXXXXXX did not like cats, but the two of them got along, and so he moved in with this guy into the guy's condo. Maybe about a month later, XXXXXXX decided to do something about that cat. He whisked the cat outside and they got into his truck. XXXXXXX drove about an hour to a very isolated part of the state. So there, in the wilderness, XXXXXXX threw the cat out of his truck and left him there with no remorse. He drove back to the condo. When he saw his roommate later that day, he asked XXXXXXX if he had seen his cat. XXXXXXX told the guy 'no' and continued to live there for a fairly lengthy time with no remorse. He told me this story himself, and actually thought it was funny. What is wrong with this person? Thanks for evaluating this.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It isn't funny!

Detailed Answer:

IT is rather unfortunate that XXXXXXX had to behave that way. It is okay not to like pets(cats) but depriving the cat of safety and not showing concern for the friend who loves the cat is bad. XXXXXXX is certainly not a bad person but someone who doesn't like animals. I will suggest that you try keeping him away from your pets if you have any. Also, talk to him and let him know that it's okay not to have liked the cat but his actions are not celebratory. He should respect friends and animals.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Let me know how XXXXXXX takes this.
Follow up: Dr. Ivo Ditah 57 minutes later
I guess I was hoping that you might be able to tell me if his actions might be a sign on him being a sociopath. XXXXXXX is actually my brother. I am bipolar and am disabled, and he shows absolutely no compassion towards me. I was in XXXXXXX last weekend, and I asked if I could be reimbursed for gas expenses, and he refused, even though I told him I was having a rough month financially. He is my mother's power-of-attorney, living in XXXXXXX TN. She has a form of dementia (and also lives in Nashville). He moved her to XXXXXXX so she could be near her grandchildren, and they religiously see her once a week. That is all. I don't think it is enough....his workplace is near her nursing home, and I think he could drop by on his way home, but he'll never do it. What do you think about his lack of compassion and his actions of the cat? Is there a certain personality disorder? Thank you.

I'm sorry, I just noticed that you are not a psychiatrist. I thought I would be working with one. Obviously, this is not your area of expertise. Can you please let a psychiatrist look at my questions? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
We all have psychiatry training!

Detailed Answer:

As a physician, we manage all medical cases including psychiatry illnesses. We send to psychiatrist if we think it needs further expertise input. Your brother has no personality disorder. He may be negligent in looking after his loved ones and show no compassion towards them and no love for animals.

I will suggest you talk to him about this and make the necessary suggestions on how he could be a better person. No medication will make a difference. Counseling is the best and that's what I recommend.

I wish you well.
Dr. Ivo Ditah