Is a small white sore underneath the tongue a symptom of canker sore?

Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi. I went to a doctor this past Monday when I noticed a small white sore underneath my backside of my tongue. The doctor examined it and said it was like a canker sore. I've had this almost 2 weeks. It is not painful but noticeable when I eat. He did prescribe magic mouthwash which I did use and didn't seem to do much. I should say that I had a terrible sore throat the week before that and was prescribed antibiotics which is now totally gone. I've attached a picture although not clear that shows the white spot at the very back underneath the tongue. It's not a bump and smooth. Should I be concerned as I'm really worried?
Answered by Dr. Abubakar Siddiqh 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
traumatic.

Detailed Answer:

I had gone through your question and understand your concerns that you are having sore under the tongue.

As per your clinical details, it appears to be healing phase of traumatic ulcer.

Trauma could be due to pulling or self biting or canker sores. It is a very bloody area and will swell dramatically... Time and care will eventually take their course but should resolve. Be careful and watch intake of hot food and coffee etc, This should resolve after several days.

In the mean time, drink plenty of water and fruit juices, avoid tea and coffee, salt water gargling helps to alleviate swelling under the tongue caused due to cancer sores, suck an ice cube,stop chewing tobacco and tobacco (if you are with this habits).

Do not worry. it appears to be benign (no cancer).

Hope this answers your question, if you have additional questions or follow up questions then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng