question-icon

Is a small hard lump behind my right ear a cause for concern?

Posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2018
Question: Hi I have a small hard lump behind my right ear like near my hair line which feels under the skin not painful only hurts when I press and prod it, just noticed it tonight
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh (8 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Information.

Detailed Answer:

Hello XXXXXXX,

Skin things are best examined in person, but I can tell you some of the most likely causes. It may be a "sebaceous cyst" which is an accumulation of the oil that gets trapped and can form a lump. It is benign. It can be a plugged hair follicle. It can also be a lymph node - usually benign, but should be felt in person by our doctor.

Most of these things are benign and don't cause problems but any lump should be checked in person...

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, General & Family Physician

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh