question-icon

Is a small bump near the perineum indicative of lipoma?

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2018
Question: Hi, I have a very small bump I wanted to ask about.

A small bump. Just noticed, not because of any pain or problems really. About 5mm in width, perhaps. Seems to be right below the skin surface between my testicles and anus, but over to the right towards my groin. I'm guessing it's a lipoma or small abscess but wanted to check...
Answered by Dr. V. N. S. Parinam (56 minutes later)
Brief Answer:

Sebaceous cyst

Detailed Answer:

It looks like a sebaceous cyst formed out of the sebum glands located in plenty over the area. This is painless and benign.

If there is a hole or smallest punctum over the lump it should be a sebaceous cyst. If you squeeze it odorous brownish-green discharge emits out.

To confirm this you need to upload a clear picture of it or else confirm with an examination by a primary physician there.
Sometimes a sebaceous cyst can be misunderstood as abscess or lipoma.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Suma Parinam, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. V. N. S. Parinam