question-icon

Is a sleep apnea test necessary for atrial fibrillation?

Posted on Thu, 10 Jul 2014
Question: Is a sleep apnea test necessary for atrial fibration?
Answered by Dr. Lohit K (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
not absolute necessary . required for precautions

Detailed Answer:

I went through the query and understood your concern.

No. Sleep apnea is not absolute necessary test in atrial fibrillation.

Sleep apnea can cause decreased in oxygen supply due to obstruction and hence the tissue will receive less oxygen. This can lead to reflex stimulus to heart to increase in heart rate and hence atrial rate increases.So in atrial fibrillation patients, if overweight or obese, if any disturbed sleep then sleep apnea test will be done to take necessary precautions to prevent further problem.

I hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask for any further queries. I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Lohit K