question-icon

Is a skin infection indicated in the attached image?

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018
Question: Do I have a possible skin infection on my ear, see attachment. is there anything I can do at home, or should I just go on and see the doctor?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Infection of skin and soft tissue. Oral and topical antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image.

Yes, an area of helix of the external ear is swollen and red.
Do you have any symptoms? Pain? Itching?
I suggest you to use a triple antibiotic ointment e.g Neosporin ointment, twice daily.
You may take an oral anti inflammatory e.g tab ibuprofen, twice daily, if it is painful.
I would also suggest an oral antibiotic e.g either Amoxicillin or Cephalexin 500mg, thrice daily for a week.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist