Is a sinus tachycardia with borderline T abnormality indicative of QT syndrome?

Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 21 Aug 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello I'm a 23 year old healthy female. I have a history of frequent pvcs and pacs. Have had a normal echo. I went to the ED with prolonged palpitations for 3 hours. My EKG reads "sinus tachycardia, borderline T abnormalities, inferior leads and borderline prolonged QT (qtc=486). My questions is, does this mean I have long QT syndrome? Should I worry about sudden death? The ED doc said normal EKG but this looks concerning. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 32 minutes later
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

After going through the medical details provided by you i can understand your for your health and well being and i would like to tell you that first of all stop worrying as you are not going to die from these palpitations, just relax as the more you take stress the more these palpitations will occur.

Secondly i would like to see the ECG image personally so kindly upload it from your dashboard for me to review it and advice you accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 20 minutes later
I uploaded it, not sure if you can see it. I am absolutely terrified of this.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello Again

Detailed Answer:
No need to be terrified as I have seen your ecg and its alright. Your doctor suggested you right that there is nothing to worry about.

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Follow up: Dr. Bhanu Partap 9 minutes later
You don't think that the qtc of 486 is consistent with lqts?
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 1 hour later
Yes it is slightly prolonged but as you never had any symptoms thats why i said you need not worry. Patients with Long qtc syndrome usually have symptoms of frequent dizziness, pre syncope or syncope. In some patients there is also history of sudden cardiac death in the family.

These things points us to investigate those people more aggressively who have slightly increased QT interval.

You can also get your Serum potassium and magnesium levels checked and a Thyroid function test done as these can also affect QT values.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Bhanu Partap, Cardiologist