Is a sharp intermittent pain behind my left rib cage concerning?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 26 Nov 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have a pain that comes and goes, behind my left rib cage, in the front, 2-3 inches above my belly button but over the the left. Is that something I should be concerned about? It’s a pretty sharp pain.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information.

Detailed Answer:

Hello XXXX,

The area you are describing, if it is just a little bit over to the left from midline, is the stomach and lower esophagus. It's possible that you have irritation there from acid reflux or stomach lining irritation.

If this just started, taking ranitidine (Zantac) can help resolve it. In the meantime, avoid NSAIDs like Advil, aspirin, alcohol, spicy and acidic foods (citrus, tomatoes) as these can all irritate the lining, and avoid mint as that can increase reflux if that is what is going on (acid can come up into the lower esophagus).

Hope it helps.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, General & Family Physician