Is a sharp edge of interdental bone in between molar teeth normal?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in Dental Health
Question: I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed when I was 18 years old, I am now 53. My lower right back molar became loose I could not make it to a dentist at the time so about a week later it was loose enough for me to pull myself. now I have a sharp piece of what I assume is my jaw bone protruding thru my gum on the inside back of the extraction area. I can see it when I examined my mouth in the mirror. I tried plucking at it with my fingernail but it wont come out. Is this part of my jaw bone protruding thru my gums?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be inter-dental bone that is present between two roots of molar tooth..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concern..

As per your complain and presentation of the symptoms it seems that it is the sharp edge of interdental bone that is present between the two roots of the molar tooth and many a times it is left sharp after tooth removal..

If you would have got it extracted from a dentist he must have trimmed it at the time of extraction and you must have not faced this discomfort..

You should consult a dentist and get it trimmed so that after healing it does not protrude as a sharp elevation over the gums and keeps injuring the gums and cause pain and inflammation of the same..

Hope this information helps. .

Any further questions are welcome. ..

Thanks and regards. .
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 27 minutes later
the piece of bone is not between were I extracted molar and were wisdom tooth was it is on the inside of jaw rubbing my tongue. If that makes a difference. also, I don't have dental insurance, can you give me a ball park figure on the cost of this type of procedure.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult a dentist for a clinical evaluation. .

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome Again..

As per your update it seems that the sharp elevation at the site you explained is most probably a sharp bony elevation..

It can be confirmed only after a clinical evaluation is done by a dentist and the treatment can be decided once diagnosis is confirmed ..

The exact charges that can be charged for the treatment depends upon the location of the dental clinic and the reputation of the dentist and for that you have to talk to the dentist you consult..

Hope this information helps. .

Thanks and regards. .
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora. .