question-icon

Is a second round of flu vaccination required after an infection?

Posted on Mon, 9 May 2016
Question: hello , i just got over the flu. about 2weeks worth. I had not gotten the flu shot. could I get it again this year ? once is enough !!!!!!! if so I will get the shot today !! THANKS. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis (37 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
once a year is enough

Detailed Answer:

vaccination against influenza is recommended once every year. The best time to do it is right before influenza starts to become active in the community which is usually around October or November. The protection lasts for about 6 months although there are differences among individuals and older individuals (aged 65 or more) may demonstrate lower immunity levels sooner. Taking all into account the current recommendations suggest an once yearly immunization.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis