Is a scan on 14th day of follicle rupture after hCG injection advisable?

Dr. Khushboo Priya

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Infertility Problem
Question: On Day 11 evening I took Hcg injection for follicle rupture
Next scan should be on Day 13 morning or evening
Can we do scan on Day 14 morning
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can do scan on day 14.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I think there is no problem in doing the scan on day 14. Rupture will be indicated by fluid in POD. Follicle size can increase or decrease, but it will be converted into corpus luteal cyst. Start taking progesterone like duphaston or susten from day 14 for 2 weeks. Do a urine pregnancy test at home after that. Hope I have answered your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Khushboo Priya 10 minutes later
Thanks for reply
1 what is corpus luteal cyst... is that dangerous ?
2 Day 14 scan in the evening will be OK right??
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Day 14 scan in evening will be okay.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, corpus luteal cyst is a normal thing to happen after rupture of follicles. In this the follicle changes it's cellular characteristics and starts to secrete progesterone which helps in supporting the implantation. It is a physiological thing and not dangerous. It is good for conceiving. Regarding the scan, day 14 scan in evening is also okay. But don't delay it more. Hope I have answered your question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Khushboo Priya 27 minutes later
Doctor told to take duphaston 10 mg twice a day from Day 17 to Day 26
Now I need to start duphaston from Day 14 twice a day for 15 days??
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, I think you can take duphaston from day 15 onwards.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, I think your follicle has developed to a dominant follicle early this time. So, progesterone should be supplemented from the day of rupture. That's why you can start taking duphaston from day 15 itself after the scan confirms the rupture. You can discuss regarding this with your doctor. Also regarding the duration of 10 days or 14 days, it differs from doctors to doctors. There is no fixed protocol. But the main thing is that you should do a urine pregnancy test just after finishing the tablets and if positive, you should continue it. I generally give it for 2 weeks. There is no harm in taking it for 2 weeks. Hope I have answered your question.
Follow up: Dr. Khushboo Priya 2 hours later
Thanks for reply...
Dosage of duphaston tablet should be twice or once a day
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Twice a day.

Detailed Answer:

Dose of Duphaston should be twice a day.

Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee