Is a root tip fragment left after tooth extraction a concern?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Fri, 17 Mar 2017 in Dental Health
Question: Hi, I have a root canal and the root of the tooth snapped off and the X-ray shows it along side of the tooth in my gum. Dentist says it has to come out. I have a bridge over the root camel. I chose to have a implant. WHat I want to know , does that flotting root have to come out? IT was done 15 years ago?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, broken root needs removal..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

As per your complain, yes the broken root should definitely be removed, rather I would suggest you to get that tooth itself removed completely..

You can then go for implant placement but only after proper evaluation of the jawbone and the overlying gum health and of course if there is any medical problems associated, so that you do not get any complications associated with implant placement..

So the first step is to get the tooth removed..

Please write back for more queries..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj