Is a red bump normal at the site of the injection?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 9 Oct 2018 in Veins and Arteries
Question: Exactly 2 weeks ago, I visited my primary care physician, who ordered some blood to be drawn for testing. I visited the lab that very day, where my blood was taken by a phlebotomist. 2 weeks later, there still remains redness at the needle site on my arm of where the blood was taken, along with a slight bump or bubble under the skin. Is this normal sometimes when giving blood? Or does this need a follow up? I've given blood several times and have never had this occur before. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Information

Detailed Answer:

No, what you are describing is not normal. The redness and bump may be from blood having gotten into the soft tissue from the vein that was used.

It could also be a bacterial infection if the site is hot and tender or spreading.

I recommend applying a hot (not so hot that there is a risk of burning the skin) wet washcloth or another hot compress a for several minutes a few times a day.

If what you are seeing is due to subcutaneous blood that has remained, the heat will increase circulation and allow your white blood cells to clean it up.

That will also help if it is an infection (which I think is less likely as you aren't describing it as spreading or hot tender and painful).

If the redness spreads through and becomes as I described for infection, then do follow up with your doctor quickly.

Otherwise, if it is remaining blood, you should see it look more like a bruise (purple, green-brown colour changes) soon and it can take days to weeks to resolve.

If you can send very good quality digital pictures, that will help me know more specifically.

You can use the upload reports tab, taking a couple close-ups and one or two from farther away so I can have the perspective of the size.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 24 minutes later
Thank you for your quick response! I have uploaded some pictures for your review. Let me know if these are clear enough or if I should send more. There is no pain or tenderness at the site (right arm), but rather still redness and raised skin, like a bubble, which is what is alarming me after 2 weeks. I'm also having dull aches and pains and tenderness around my right eye and temple the last few days, which I doubt is related, but thought I should mention just in case. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Thank you for the pictures

Detailed Answer:

It does not look like a raging cellulitis (soft tissue infection) so I think it would be adequate to use the hot wet compresses.

It looks like either blood that leaked out (and will change to bruise looking appearance) or a slight tissue reaction. So try the moist heat.

I think the eye/temple symptoms are unrelated. Is it increasing in pain? Is it severe?

Can you think of anything that might have set it off such as pressure or trauma to the eye, sinus congestion, or a history of headaches?

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, General & Family Physician