Is a red and inflamed penile tip indicative of STDs?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 16 Oct 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi I have had two rounds of sti/std tests after protected sex with a sex worker which lasted a couple of minutes, I am 95% sure a condom was worn the whole time. Tests and retest have been taken over 6 weeks apart as I retested when back in Australia in late December. I have been experiencing a red penile meatus for about 6 weeks, it doesn't hurt when passing urine at all but just doesn't look like it has improved much at all. What do you think? Any ideas moving forward?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Regarding your genital Complaints

Detailed Answer:

You don't seem to have an STD because protected sex is safe. Moreover, there are no symptoms and the screening tests too are reassuring.

Perhaps the red meatus is due to friction or may be due to irritation to soaps etc. Avoid soaps in that area. Use just plain lukewarm water to clean the glans.

The meatus is anyways slightly redder than the rest of glans and that is a perfectly normal thing

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 56 minutes later
As I have completed two rounds of testing is there anything else that would be worth testing for at this stage that would cause these symptoms? My health otherwise is great.

As I said previously there is no pain when urinating or generally at all, if anything it just feel a little "irritated" as seen in the pictures i attached, some days seem to be worse than others. I feel this may be as much a mental anxiety issue as physical. I have used a hydro cortisone cream briefly but felt like it was stinging the area and aggravating it. Would you recommend anything to aide in recovery moving forward that is very gentle on penis glans?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 hours later
Brief Answer:

Use a bland ointment

Detailed Answer:

Your glans and tip looks absolutely normal to me. Nevertheless you may use a petrolatum ointment(Aquaphor ointment), twice daily. It is a bland ointment.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 28 hours later
Would the urine tests and swabs that I have completed detect urethritis if present?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Brief Answer:

Regarding urethritis

Detailed Answer:

Yes, the swab and urine tests should have detected the microbial cause of urethritis

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 16 hours later
Do you see any need to retest for sti/stds considering two rounds have been completed. One round of testing just after (2 days) "potential exposure"

2nd round of FULL testing completed after 6 weeks of "potential exposure"

What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

A 3 month STD screening

Detailed Answer:

A 3 month or 12 week STD screening test is considered the most conclusive.

The incubation period of syphilis varies from 9-90 days and some patients of HIV may have detectable antibodies only by 3 months or 90 days.

HSV too can be conclusively ruled out by a negative 12 - 16 week IgG for type 1 and 2 HSV by Elisa.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Kakkar S., Dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana