Is a raised skin lesion on upper arm,symptom of shingles?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I think I have shingles. I have a rash and raised skin lesions on my left upper arm, right hip and upper right shoulder. My lesions feel hot, there is a burning sensation and there is quite a lot of itching. Will it eventually disappear without treatment. A neighbor has just mentioned that shingles could go to my face, then eyes and cause blindness. I would appreciate your advice. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details required.Unlikely shingles.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query. I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.
With the description given it is not clear about morphology symptoms type of rash etc
Please send photos of rashes at all the sites to get a real idea.
Also about symptoms duration how it evolved any drug intake exacerbating factors or relieving factors.
It may not be shingles with the different site locations described.
Please get back with details.
I will try to help you
You can consult dermatologist for discussion.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 33 hours later
Thank you for the information. For some reason the lesions have almost disappeared; just small, raised, scaly patches now.
I think I will wait and watch. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Thank you.Wish you good health.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query.
It is good they have disappeared. It may be simple sweat gland changes or folliculitis which many times subside on own.
You can observe them for some time.
Wish you good health.
You can get back if any clarification required else please close the discussion and rate.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari