Is a pulse reading of 181 a cause for concern?

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I been doing an extreme exercise program for about two months, and I just completed a cardio portion and my hr monitor was at 181 is this too much
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Peak heart rate

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You have been participating in an exercise program and today while exercising your peak heart rate was 180. This is a little high for your age. The way to determine your peak heart rate is to take 220 and minus your age. So in your case 220-48=172. Your peak is 172. Your target heart rate is 85% of that number or 150. That is the heart rate that you reach when doing your cardiac workout and the average at your peak exercise. These are not hard set rules just guidelines. So if you are in good shape with few if any heart risk factors then you can push yourself more than if you had heart disease.

In summary
Peak heart rate 220- your age
Target heart rate 85% of peak

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions