Is a pronounced limp during stressful situations a sign of cerebral palsy?

Neurologist
Question
hi, I have a mild case of cerebral palsy on my left side. High cognitive functioning (College degree). The only outward sign of the cp is I walk with a slight limp on my left side. I have noticed in stressful situations such as presentations for work I notice my leg get extremely tight and my limp becomes much more pronounced. Any suggestions as to why? Dr have recommended I take baclofen but I am apprehensive to start taking pills. Is botox injections a viable option.
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Get evaluated by a neurologist or movement disorder specialist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
Occasional increase in tone may occur due to stress.
Botox injection leads to decrease in tone for 3-6 months.
In low dosage it may be beneficial subjected to evaluation by a neurologist or movement disorder specialist.
Baclofen is also good option and dosages xan be gradually titrated for optimal dose.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist

Follow-up: Is a pronounced limp during stressful situations a sign of cerebral palsy? 13 hours later
Thanks for an informative answer. With regard to baclofen, is this drug associated with addictive properties. In your opinion do you think some kind of in sole orthodic could be helpful. Thank you in advance

Brief Answer:
Get examined by a neurologist and start baclofen

Detailed Answer:
Baclofen may have mild addictive property but can be safely taken for many years.
The utility of shoe or orthoptics can only be determined after examination by a physiotherapist.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist