• question-icon

Is a positive EtG test possible while on Bupropion?

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I received a letter from my probation department saying that I violated probation with a positive EtG test of 1530ng/ml and EtS of 186ng/ml. I have freaked out and have no idea what to do. I do know that I take Bupropion HCL SR in a 150mg tablet infrequently. Occasionally, I have taken up to 7 or 8 of them. I know they contain dehydrated alcohol and ethyl alcohol in the list of inactive ingredients, but I want to know if this could possibly be the cause of the results of the test. Please help me.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please refer to the detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear

I can understand your concern for the issue, the thing is that first of all you need to tell me whether you have really consumed any alcoholic drink like beer recently in some party, with friends or not??

Bupropion is basically an antidepressant why you are taking it at first place?

etg and ets is a highly sensitive test of alcohol detection and can detect alcohol from mouthwash and hand rubs also. So to prove yourself innocent you have to show a doctor's prescription of Bupropion to them

Kind regards
Dr Bhanu partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist