Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Is a painful lump in my scrotum due to a sexually transmitted disease?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 3163 Questions

I have a painful bump/lump on the bottom of my right scrotum. I want to know if it is std. If it is not std, will it go away on its on? If not what cream i can use to make it go away? Or do I need to visit a doctor? I am too embarrasshed. Please advise
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Hi there,

Thanks for the query.

I think that you may need to see a doctor for examination.
You quite possibly have a sebaceous cyst,as the location is quite common.
It wont go away on its own and you need to have it drained.So please do see a surgeon to confirm the diagnosis and get treatment.The other possibility is an abscess which may be developing.That too needs drainage.

I suggest that you see that doctor and please dont be embarrassed.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is a painful lump in my scrotum due to a sexually transmitted disease? 3 hours later

Thank you very much for getting back to me. Can any regular doctor do the draining thing if it comes to that? Or do I really have to see a specialist? It is very important for me to because I am not fotunate enough to have health insurance.

Is alright to ask you if you any know doctors who know about this stuff in New York?

Please let me know. I am just freaking out here because i have been googling this stuff for days now and all of my search results saying it could turn cancerous.


Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 hours later

You are un necessarily worried about the problem that you have. It is very unlikely to turn cancerous.

If your bump is on the bottom of the scrotum and superficial,then cyst is more likely. You should be examined by a doctor first to confirm the diagnosis. Any general physician can help in the diagnosis. If the diagnosis of sebaceous cyst is confirmed, then it can be removed by a Primary physician also. Ideally I would prefer, that a surgeon do the treatment. Sebaceous cysts are completely harmless so there is a difference of opinion whether it should be drained or not is better taken by your treating GP.

Any primary can help you so you would not require a specific referral in NewYork.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is a painful lump in my scrotum due to a sexually transmitted disease? 12 hours later

Thank you very much for being so helpful so far. I jus wanted to update you. I did went to a doctor today and I had him examined the problem. He said it is more like a pimple and he said he could be cyst too. He said the draining was not necessary becaue he didn't think it has a puss.

He has prescribed me cephalexin 500 mg anti biotic. He has told me to take it for a week after every 8 hours.

I just wanted to ask, if that is common for doctors to prescribe these anti biotics for this problem? Also can i apply bacitracin ointment on it? I forgot to ask my doctor about it.

Please let me know. Once again, thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 hours later


That is good to hear.

Yes,antibiotics are routinely prescribed with or without surgery.I suggest you take the prescription.
Do not apply any ointment on it now.It might clog the pores.Just finish the antibiotic course and if it works,then the cyst should be resolved soon.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a General Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor