• question-icon

Is a non-reactive HIV test result conclusive?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: My HIV test came back as in-range non-reactive. I have not had sexual relations with anyone but my boyfriend, always, always protected since my divorce from my husband 4 years ago, but he did give me another std about 7 years ago & I was tested for everything under the sun. For some reason I got paranoid & got a blood test. Like I said, results came in-range non-reactive. What does this mean?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
non reactive means negative- HIV NOT found

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Non reactive means that the test was negative and HIV was not detected on the blood test.

According to the test, you are HIV negative.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow up: Dr. Michelle Gibson James 4 minutes later
Thank you. Can you explain to me what the "in-range" part of the result means? Then I will have conclusive peace of mind.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
tests have normal ranges and abnormal ranges or positive or negative ranges

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The test was in the not reactive/negative/no HIV range

A person whose result was positive would be in the positive/reactive/HIV found range

Dr. Michelle Gibson James