Is a negative HIV test at 52 days conclusive?

Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I took a hiv blood test at the clinic 30 days after possible exposure it was negative I also took a hiv rna test after 52 days of possible exposure it also was negative I got a couple answers already I just wanted to get another opinion to make sure im hiv negative or do I need to do more tests I don't want to keep streesing about this situation
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you are HIV negative

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

HIV test which you have got done at 30 days is not so diagnostic because upto 3months window period will be there after exposure in which test will be negative though infection is there.

But RNA test what you have got done is very much diagnostic as this will become positive in 2 weeks after exposure if infection is there. Since yours rna test is negative after 52 days means this rules out hiv infection in you.

So don't worry and don't take stress. Rna test is very diagnostic test which detect virus itself.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help .

Dr.Deepika Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj