Is a mole on the back of the hand indicative of nodular melanoma?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on 5 days ago in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have this raised mole on the back of my hand. I am worried about nodular melanoma. I have seen my GP who used a dermoscope on it in December. He said it was benign. But now on the same hand near my knuckle there is another mole developing which is making me stress about nodular melanoma again.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload images

Detailed Answer:
Hello.. Thank you
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.
I request you to kindly upload a few good quality images of the mole in "Reports Section" so that I am able to have a look and guide you better.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 30 minutes later
I have had the bigger XXXXXXX mole since last August. It's 3-4mm across.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not Melanoma

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.

I can see 2 skin colored raised bumps. I don't think that it is a nevus or a melanoma. A melanoma is usually pigmented whereas this appears skin colored. This is most likely to be a colloid milium.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 37 minutes later
Thank you. I was under the impression not all melanoma is pigmented. I'm concerned it could still be amelanotic melanoma. What other than colour makes them likley to be benign?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not Melanoma

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

You are right. Not all melanomas are pigmented. Even though most melanomas are pigmented, amelanotic melanoma is very rare. Moreover other features like small size (<5mm) and symmetrical, perfectly round lesion with an intact surface i.e no ulceration suggests that it is very much a benign lesion.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 6 hours later
And also the leison on my knucke is new and has only sprung up in the last week. I was concerned the first mole was a melanoma that had spread to the knuckle. Are you confident both are fine? Thank you :)
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not Melanoma

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Thank you :)

Yes, I am reasonably confident that this is not a melanoma.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng