Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Is a lump on the center of the penis shaft a sign of any STD ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12753 Questions
I'm a 52 YO male, 6ft 170 and I'm taking Crestor for cholesterol. Recent blood work indicates all is good and I exercise 5 days/week. There is no reason for me to consider STD's. I had a prostate biopsy about 10 months ago, with negative results. I have a pea sized lump that feels as though it's in the center of my penis shaft just below the glans. The is no pain except when I get an erection, at which time it feels just slightly sore. There are no discharges, painful urination, etc.. I'm not aware of any recent trauma, but I do masturbate 5 or so times per week. I'm thinking it's been there two to three months, and does not appear to be getting better or worse.
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us.

The small pea sized lump on your penis shaft (if we are not expecting any STD) could be due to a blocked gland like sebaceous cyst. It usually remains like that without much problem but pains when it is infected.

The only treatment is to get the cyst removed surgically.

An examination by your surgeon will help in the proper diagnosis and you can discuss with him about its removal also.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Is a lump on the center of the penis shaft a sign of any STD ? 12 hours later
Just to clarify, it is not ON my penis, but within. It is not visible on the surface, but may be palpated. Same response? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
A small lump only palpable and not visible on the penis shaft is less likely to be a sebaceous cyst.
It is more likely to be a lymphocele or a granuloma due to seepage of semen from urethra which triggers the formation of chronic inflammatory reaction.
An examination will confirm the diagnosis.
Usually it is a harmless condition and does not need any treatment.
Wishing you an early recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sexual Diseases

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor