Is a lump in the right lower quadrant with lower backache indicative of UTI?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 17 Sep 2018 in General Health
Question: Yes. I have just had a severe case of shingles for a month. During the past 3 weeks I've had to press on my right lower quadrant to have a bowel movement. I've been on gabbapentin, advil, valtrex, and pantoprazole, 10,00 iu Vitamin D and eye drops for glaucoma.
Also, the urine test shows the appearance as turbid, leukocyte esterase in 1+; protein value 1+ and WBC 16-25. Today my GI doctor has me taking the magnesium citrate as a first step to clense the colon.
That sensation on the right lower quadrant actually feels like something is there.
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

UTI needs to be treated with antibiotics

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the query. It seems that you have a urinary tract infection (UTI).

You need to drink plenty of water and also take antibiotics for controlling the infection. You need to follow up with your doctor and get the antibiotics as Ofloxacin prescribed.

If a urine culture has been done, based on the sensitivity report the choice of antibiotic can be confirmed.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Please advise on the sensation I have on my right lower quadrant. It feels like there is a bag or a tumor on my right side. I need to press on it to pass my bowels. Otherwise, it feels like something will break or I will have a perforation. I have back pain as well.
kinneyp
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 13 hours later
Brief Answer:

Taking antibiotics should resolve the problems.

Detailed Answer:

The sensation in the right lower quadrant as well as the back pain are both possibly due to the UTI itself and should resolve on treatment with antibiotics.

I would insist you to take Paracetamol or Acetaminophen two tablets together twice or thrice daily for next 3 days for the back pain. This should ease the problem and make it go away.

If it does not spondylosis could be another cause to consider. I would insist you to get an X-Ray of the Lumbosacral spine (AP and lateral) done and to see a physical therapist with the reports.

Based on the findings he would be able to demonstrate to you proper exercises that should provide relief.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Prof. Kunal Saha, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana