Is a lesion on the tongue a cause for concern?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Dental Health
Question: I am 25 year old male who noticed yesterday a tongue lesion on the right side of my tongue. There is a much smaller lesion on the same side closer to the tip of my tongue. I am non smoker and don't drink heavily. ENT specialist opinion said if doesn't go away should seek biopsy but nothing to cause alarm. In your opinion do you believe this looks more like a cancer or perhaps a benign condition such as geographic tongue?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Seems more like an ulcer or tongue bite lesion..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome to HEALTHCARE MAGIC..

I have gone through your query and can understand your concerns..

As per your complain I have seen the image that you attached and along with it taken your history of having a large lesion on right side of tongue and a small lession close to tongue tip..

As per the image it looks like either a major Apthous Ulcer or can be due to tongue bite by teeth..

I would like to know a few more details so that I can guide you further..
1.Since how many days is the Ulcer present?
2.Did you start taking any medication for it, if yes please describe..
3.Is there pain in the area?
4.Has it increased or decreased in size since noticed?
5.Do you remember any recent tongue biting or injury to tongue?

Kindly revert back with reply..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 8 minutes later
I just noticed yesterday and it looks pretty much the same. Went to doctor who referred me to ENT. Finished Amoxcillin ten day course within past month for sinus infection. Could it possibly be oral thrush? I am worried it could be oral cancer. What do lesions that are cancerous look like? Should I rinse mouth with peroxide? Thanks. I'm on no medication currently

It's not painful like a canker sore usually is

No recent accidental bite that I can remember

I went to the dentist a month ago and had molar in that area filled. Dentist didn't notice or say anything then.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not think directly of Cancer, not Thrush..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome Again..

As per your answers, you have noticed the Ulcer just a day back, so it is better not to think of Cancer directly..
As cancerous ulcers are progressive and persists without healing..
It can however be any accidental tongue bite that you do not remember, trauma with any sharp tooth etc..
As far as Thrush is concerned it is not looking like Thrush as it is generally a thick white layer on tongue..
Nothing to worry as of now..
Take Vitamin B complex supplements daily..
Gargle with Peroxide by mixing it in water..
Do warm saline gargles..
Apply numbing gel over it containing Lignocaine..
Suck ice..

This should be followed for a week..

In case if you see improvement proceed further for one more week..

If it worsen consult an Oral Surgeon and get evaluated and he can also do a Biopsy to confirm the cause..
Also it is not necessary that Biopsy is taken to detect oy cancer but also to understand the nature of other lesions too..

Any further questions are welcome..

Hope this information helps..

Thanks and regards.
Dr.Honey Nandwani Arora.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 10 hours later
I uploaded a few more photos that show the front of my tongue a little better there does seem to be a light white film on it. I did finish a ten day course of Amoxcillin within the past month. My front lesion appears to be a little larger then the other day as you can see.
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Cancerous lesions do not increase in size overnight, do not worry..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome Again..

As per the latest images as your lesion on the front of tongue has increased further, it seems to be due to other causes like large ulcers ( major Apthae/ Apthous Ulcers) while can also be due to fungal infection..

You need a thorough clinical evaluation and investigations like microscopic examination of the scraping from the lesions and a biopsy can be done for confirmation..
In this regard an Oral Surgeon should be consulted..

Any further questions are welcome..

Regards..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 18 hours later
I went to Ear nose throat Doctor he said it was a viral infection and not much can be done about it but let it run its course
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Kindly elaborate..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome Again..

In case if you have been diagnosed with viral infection, did the physician conducted any tests or investigations to rule out the same or diagnosed with clinical examination only??

Do you have any throat ache or swollen tonsils or any other problem also going on with it?

Did he prescribe you any medicines?

It is right that if it is a viral infection then it will resolve once the virus will complete its course in your body and you need not to worried of cancer as it generally does not progress so rapidly..

Any further queries are welcome..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
The physician diagnosed with clinical examination and review of older pictures I had of my lesion. The appearance of my tongue's lesions changed dramatically from Friday of last week(when I first noticed it) until my appointment yesterday with the ENT (three days totoal). He stated the lesions were much less ulcerative and although larger appeared to be healing.He stated cancer is slow growing process (so do not worry about that) and this was likely a viral infection that could have been caused by a previous sinus infection I had a month earlier. He said it would most likely go away on it's own soon but if it worsens to come back. Overall he didn't seem concerned at all about the tongue.

The physician also evaluated my ears and my voice (I have had hoarseness my whole life because of acid reflux) by performing a fiberoptic laryngoscopy which showed normal results.
Brief Answer:
You need not to worry as healing lesion is a positive sign..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome back..

As per your query as your lesions have started healing, it is a positive sign and will gradually resolve soon..

As the fiber-optic results are also fine and you do not have any other symptoms you can simply relax..

You can however take Vitamin B complex as it will help in faster healing..
Avoid spicy and hard foods..
Drink plenty of water and take sufficient rest..

Any further questions are welcome..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar