Is a ketogenic diet safe for the heart?

Dr. Rishu Saxena

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: it's a keto supplement or diet safe for your heart? I read stories about it causing palpitations or qt intervals and afib. but I'm really interested in trying this keto supplement if it's safe.
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
High fat diet is never safe from cardiac point of view.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for choosing HCM for your question,
The ketogenic diet is a very low-carbohydrate,high-fat diet,As [per the standard cardiology text High fat diet is never good for heart in long terms.Though there is no specific mentions about palpitations and fibrillation ,But a high fat diet always puts you at higher risk of coronary artery disease in future.Total fat content of diet should not be more then 10-15%.Keto diet is basically meant to treat refractory epilepsy.Though not asked i would advice you to take normal food,Remain natural.I don't think there is any need to go for artificially designed diet plans.
Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Rishu Saxena 9 minutes later
it's not really a change in diet they're asking but to take a keto supplement everyday. Is that the same thing
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
follow up answer.

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
In that case yes you can take the supplement everyday but be sure to cut fats in your normal diet.Total fat intake should not be more then 15% in a day,So as keto is high in fats cut fats in your normal diet,to balance.
My only concern is increased fat uptakes.
Thanks.