Is a height of 104cms and weight 14kg normal for a 6 year old?

Posted on Fri, 12 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: my child groth is not proper,he is 6 years old , his eight is 14 and height is 104 cm
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would request for further details.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Your child needs a thorough evaluation. As such, such checkups were supposed to be done much earlier. Anyway, the things that I would ask are:
* Was there developmental delay or was the child otherwise doing things normal for his age?
* Whether the child was born premature and whether the weight was lesser compared to expected?
* Did the child cry at birth? Were there other complications?
* Your and your spouse's height and weight and whether you two had any delay in growth.
* You can upload any relevant medical investigations and other documents using the facility on the upper right of this page.

I would await your response.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 46 hours later
1.There is no development delay and he is doing all things normal and very active.

2.he was born on time after 9 months and 4 days

3.yes he was crying.

4.yes our weight gain after 28 years, upto 25th years my weight was 41 and her weight was 37.

5.uploading his test reports for your reference.

6.Doctor suggested Calcium tablets and syrup Elixir Neogadine
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regular growth monitoring is essential

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

I have gone through the reports. The thyroid hormone levels are normal and as you say that there is no development delay, the problem is more likely to be a constitutional problem of growth. Since both you ad your wife have a low weight, the condition is not unusual. In fact it is more frequent in children of mothers of weight below 40kg. Let me assure you that not much can be done about it and neither does it need to. But one thing would be crucial. His weight needs to be plotted on a growth chart at an interval of every three months. If the plotting moves in the designated trajectory and does not cross percentile lines, rest assured that even if the weight is low, nothing needs to be done. If the weight does not increase in accordance to the lines of growth chart, appropriate interventions would be needed. It would range from nutritional interventions to growth hormone assay. Calcium supplements should be ok to be given but I would not prefer Elixir Neogadine. It contains digestive enzymes but I would not consider it effective in case of your son. Rather, giving him a wholesome diet is more essential.

I could not interpret the last report (report2.jpg). Further information on that would be helpful.

Dr. Diptanshu Das
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician