question-icon

Is A Heart-rate Of 147 Dangerous?

Posted on Thu, 26 Oct 2017
Question: Was admitted 1 day this week fir afib. I have a mechanical mitral valve. I take 400mg maltaq twice daily heart rate when admitttd eas 125. Today its 147. I take 25 mg metoporal in the am i took an extra metoporal about an jour ago I am on wArfrin 10mg daily. My ir is good just had it checked. My question is hiw long is it safe fir this heart rate. My PA said i may always go in and out of afib and high heart rate. What are the dangers of 147 heart rate
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
The risk is there. Good that you have taken an extra dose, please visit your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query carefully and understand your concerns.

It may be ok at this heart rate but the question is why is it so rapid. It could be stress or could be due to other factors. The underlying cause needs to be looked into.

A 12 lead ECG tracing could clarify whether there is likelihood of going into AFib. The likelihood is there and there might be a requirement of dose adjustment (increase) of Metoprolol. I would recommend visiting your doctor to set things in order.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha