question-icon

Is a head injury caused by fainting a cause for concern?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016
Question: Last night after not eating and drinking some wine, I fainted on my way to bed. I feel confident the faint was caused from lack of food. However, I hit my head hard on the floor when I fainted and had some moderate confusion for about a half an hour after coming to and have had a pretty bad headache all day today. Should I be seen by a doctor? The confusion I suffered has me more worried than anything.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
This needs evaluation, kindly visit doctor.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome.
I have gone through your query.
Any head injury need to be evaluated. Based on the information, I don't think anything to worry, but an examination is better.

I would suggest you to eat regularly, hypoglycemia appears to be the cause for your fainting.

I would have done thorough neurological examination and asked for a cranial computerized tomography (CT) scan which is the standard test to assess the brain right after injury.

So I would recommend to see doctor for examination and investigation.
This provisional advice provided by me is based entirely on the input provided to me. I would suggest examination by the doctor.

I hope this suggestion might be of some help to you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Harish Naik