Is a foam like stuff while vomiting in a child a concern?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: I have a video showing my 11 year old niece vomiting bar soap size white foam like stuff. No one seems to know what it is or a cause. This is disterbing because she can choke at night during sleep. Please help her...its been almost a month. Daniel 818-5858-397 c/t
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rush to the ER of a hospital with pediatric facilities

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back once again.

It seems that the platform does not let you attach videos and therefore only a screenshot has been attached. However, the second image shows the white coating on the lips. The foam like stuff is indeed concerning and the child could be having seizures which could lead to formation of such foam. I would insist you to take it seriously and to take her to the emergency room of a hospital without any further delay.

I would insist you not to ignore it.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 7 hours later
I sent a second image which shows the white soap bar substance coming from the mouth.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I have already seen it and considered it.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

I have already seen it and think that it could be due to seizure activity leading to churning of air with the saliva forming the foamy substance. That is the reason I advised you to take her to the ER at the earliest.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad