Is a fever of 101.2 deg in a child a cause for concern?
Likely to be a viral infection
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.
I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Most often fevers result from viral infections. You have to give paracetamol or acetaminophen to help in reducing the temperature. Also give tepid sponging. Look out for signs like lethargy or chills and rigors. Unless such symptoms are present, you can wait and continue at home. It may take 5-7 days for viral fevers to recover. But if it lasts longer, you will have to visit a doctor to get him assessed.
Thanks for writing back. Although Advil (ibuprofen) is more effective than paracetamol, it has the side effect of gastric irritation and hence I would suggest paracetamol to be first line. Give Advil if temperature is not coming down with paracetamol.
It is usual to be not quite hungry when ill. But monitor activity levels. If he is drinking well, perhaps there is no cause for concern.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Child with fever and woke up hallucinating cause for hallucination
- Cause for child having fever headache and stomach
- Will a bee sting cause a child to run a fever
- Child has recurrent fever vomiting concerned
- Fever causes
- Child with vomiting fever and not eating concerned about dehydration
- What causes recurring fever in a child
- Is 5 days of fever a cause of concern
- Child with fever headache and vomit cause for dehydration
- Childs loose tooth cause a fever