question-icon

Is a fever of 101.2 deg in a child a cause for concern?

Posted on Mon, 23 May 2016
Question: my 5 year old son is running a fever between 99.6 to 101.2 is that ok. no other signs yet started last night. doesn't seem to bothered but kinda just laying around now.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Likely to be a viral infection

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Most often fevers result from viral infections. You have to give paracetamol or acetaminophen to help in reducing the temperature. Also give tepid sponging. Look out for signs like lethargy or chills and rigors. Unless such symptoms are present, you can wait and continue at home. It may take 5-7 days for viral fevers to recover. But if it lasts longer, you will have to visit a doctor to get him assessed.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das (3 minutes later)
I have been giving him fever reducer Advil and its helping keep it down he is asleep and temp says 98.7 he said no pain anywhere and is drinking not very hungry.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (3 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Use paracetamol.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. Although Advil (ibuprofen) is more effective than paracetamol, it has the side effect of gastric irritation and hence I would suggest paracetamol to be first line. Give Advil if temperature is not coming down with paracetamol.

It is usual to be not quite hungry when ill. But monitor activity levels. If he is drinking well, perhaps there is no cause for concern.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das (13 minutes later)
what I paracetamol?
Brief Answer:
Calpol or crocin

Detailed Answer:
Crocin or Calpol are popular brands of paracetamol. It helps in relieving high temperature. In some countries it is available as Tylenol or acetaminophen.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das (2 minutes later)
oh ok thanks
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das (0 minute later)
Brief Answer:
Glad to help

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician