Is a fasting blood glucose reading of 380 a cause for concern?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I have a non fasting blood glucose of 380. At what level of panic should I be at.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Some information:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

A random (non fasting) glucose of 380 is not good but it needs to be treated urgently if combined with other abnormal tests or symptoms. If you are feeling ill in any way, then go to the urgent care of ER where they can help you safely bring it down. Also, if there are ketones in your urine (call drug store to see if they carry ketone testers) then you should also go in.

Your doctor likely has a protocol that he or she would like you to follow based on your history or other problems so I strongly advise that you call your doctor's office with this too.

In the meantime, stay well hydrated with extra water, sports drinks, and recheck no later than 2 hours from the last time you checked. If it hasn't gone down, then do go in to urgent care.

I hope this information helps.