Is a dose of Bactrim advisable when diagnosed with Hashimoto's?

Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have Hashimoto's .... should I be taking a 7 day dose of oral bactrim ?
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes,you can.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for asking.
I have gone through your question.

Bactrim contains a combination of sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim. Sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim are are both antibiotics that treat different types of infection caused by bacteria.

A very rare side affect of Bactrim is goiter.
But this side effect is very rare (less than 0.1%),so my answer is Yes,you can take a 7 day dose of oral Bactrim.

Anyway my advice is to be cautious and if you feel any thyroid problem during the therapy(swelling or tenderness in thyroid gland ),Stop immediately taking this drug and consult your doctor.

Hope i have clarified yoyur doubts.If you have other questions,feel free and ask.I will be happy to help.
You can ask me at HealthCareMagic,anytime you need a medical advice, at my private link: bit.do/hcm-Dr-Xhardo.

Thanks for using HCM.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad