Is a colonoscopy advisable for a 50 year old?

Gastroenterologist
Question
At what age should a woman get a colonoscopy?
I am 50 years old in overall good health. However, my Grandmother and her brother both had Colon Cancer and didn't know if I needed to be concerned.
Wed, 23 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its 50 years only.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.

As per your query you are 50 and its the ideal age to go for your first colonoscopy(keeping in mind family history).
Generally,
After the age of 50, it is recommended that all people should have a colonoscopy every 5-10 years.
You need not to be concerned but definitely yes i would suggest you a check colonoscopy.

Hope i was helpful.
Feel free to follow up.
Regards!