Is a bone marrow testing necessary to detect anemia?

Pediatrician
Question
my daughter is 3 years old and diagnosed as having iron def anemia. my question is what determines anemia associated with bone marrow production disorder vs inadequate dietary iron intake. is this determined in the diff count of a CBC lab value? or is a bone marrow blood count indicated?
Posted Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Anemia

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question. Iron deficiency anemia is by far the most common type of anemia. The blood tests done to diagnose iron deficiency also test all cell lines. In the absence of any other abnormalities, there is no need for bone marrow testing.