Is a blood sugar reading of 200 a cause for concern?

Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: my blood sugar readings are in the 200 range. i am not on any drugs for diabetes. is it time to get on something?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

A blood sugar reading above 200 is a definition of diabetes. In your case I absolutely think you should discuss medication to help manage your elevated blood sugar.I think a focus consultation with a primary care physician which might include additional lab work as well would be a good start for you.

Managing diabetes involves consideration of medication as well as lifestyle modification to help minimize long-term complications of the condition.

The risk of having significantly elevated blood sugar over a long period of time includes development of cardiovascular disease, kidney disease as well as damage to your nervous system and your vision.

I would not wait long at all to make an appointment to discuss this with your primary care physician. I think a low dose of diabetes medication might provide significant improvement of your average blood sugar.regular exercise and focus on weight management is also extremely important as well.

Thank you again for sending your question. I don't think you are in any immediate danger at all but I think this should be addressed soon to avoid long-term complications.

Thank you again for sending your question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Robert Galamaga 53 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX That is what I thought. My weight is a huge problem. I have been heavy my entire life. After babies i continued to get heavier and after menopause i recently added 30 more pounds which started this blood sugar thing. I now weigh 310 pounds and i really don't eat pies all day. I see myself as one big diet that never works. I have been avoiding carbs and still little results. Im thinking I should go ahead and get the bypass. do you feel there are any long term results of this hurting my longevity? I know for sure the path im on now is horrible. Any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
hello again.

Regarding the gastric bypass is it me in fact improve your longevity by ultimately leading to an improvement in your blood sugar and most likely cardiovascular health. Most institutions require that you go through several months of working on diet and lifestyle modification before proceeding with the actual surgery.it is a major decision which you should discuss thoroughly with your primary care doctor.

I absolutely think the extra weight your body is caring is the biggest challenge at this point. If you're not able to really control this or achieve gradual and steady weight loss then the gastric bypass option may be the most viable choice.

it sounds like you have already given this some thought. You might ask your doctor for a referral to a bariatric surgeon for further discussion regarding this particular option.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga