Is a blood clot in the needle during blood donation a concern?

Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I donate blood regularly. At my last donation the blood clotted in the needle. Should a blood thinner be prescribed in my case?
Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need for blood thinners.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
It's good that you are still donating blood regularly even at the age of 85 years.
I wonder that you are eligible for blood donation at this age. Usually after the age of 50-55 years, blood donors are rejected.
Anyways, this is not a question in your case.
No, you should not take blood thinners because of that incidence.
If you are having diabetes or hypertension or other heart diseases like ischemic heart diseases then you may need blood thinners otherwise, no need for blood thinners.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wish you good health. Thanks.