question-icon

Is a TSH level of 4.13 a cause for concern?

Posted on Fri, 13 May 2016
Question: Sir earlier my TSH. IS 5.16 WHILE I WAS ON LITHIUM FROM19/11/2015 TO 10/01/2016.SO HE STOPPED ME TAKING LITHIUM.AND STARTED DICORATE 250MG TWICE A DAY.FROM 11/02/2016 TILL THE DAY. TODAY MY T3 AND T4 ABSOLUTELY NORMAL. MY TSH OF TODAY IS 4.13 Now Sir guide me.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala (31 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
It appears you are not on thyroid medication at the moment.

In that case, your TSH is ok. Some may consider this to be slightly on the higher side. Regardless, nothing needs to be done right away for this.

I suggest you check it again in 3 to 6 months.

When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your 3 month glucose average)
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH
Free T4
Anti Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) antibodies
Anti Thyroglobulin antibodies
25 hydroxy Vitamin D
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist