Is a STD and HIV test at 4 weeks reliable?

Dr. Binod Kumar Pati

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: i tested std negative and hiv negative at 4 weeks is it reliable? i had a rapid test. i have a white coating on my tongue im starting to get a little sore throat, i am very gassy tired and my body feels heavy and im hot. i got sores and white tongue at 2 or 3 weeks after exposure
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What was status of your partner?

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome Healthcaremagic.
Was your partner HIV positive?
Was it an unprotected act?
Rapid tests also give good result for HIV, even at 4 weeks. But confirmatory is always ELISA after 3-6 months.
What are the STD parameter those found to be negative?
Sore throat and tireness are always misjudged to be due to HIV.

Expecting your response. Have a nice day.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 48 minutes later
i dont know what the status was, it was unprotected, gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Test for HIV antibody after 3-6 months.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings again.
Then you are free from those STDs. But HIV I will advice to test again after 3-6 months by ELISA, which will be confirmatory.
For the respiratory symptoms get a throat culture done and follow the report.
Do warm saline gargling 2- 3 times a day.
I hope you will be alright.

Any more querry, I ll be happy to solve.
Till then god bless you.
Follow up: Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 16 minutes later
i was also taking amoxicillin 500 mg, 3 times a day for tooth infection which i got three days after exposure and i also have dry skin and got a wierd raised bump on my arm like a rash looking bug bite
Answered by Dr. Binod Kumar Pati 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take a dermatology opinion.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks once again for writing to us.
The symptoms which you are describing may not always be due to HIV at 4 weeks. Amoxicillin is good enough to take care of any bacterial cause of sore throat. But viral/ fungal (though rare) cause, cannot be ruled out. The skin problem for which you are worrying also not correlating with HIV diseases. You can visit your dermatologist to get checked. Many a times scabies presents in this manner.
Hope this helps. May God richly bless you and restore your health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj