Is a PSA level of 6.8 indicative of prostate cancer?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: The results of a recent (August 4th) prostate biopsy show some cancer cells in only one of twelve samples taken. I am almost 67 years old with no known family history of prostate cancer. I currently have a PSA level of 6.8. I have a consultation with my urologist next thursday to discuss treatment options. What are youe recommendations for treatment options and the coming consult?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is it possible to upload the pathology report?

Detailed Answer:
HI and thanks for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this finding. I will need to stage this cancer and for that I need the entire report. They might have found cancerous cells but that is not enough as the level of differentiation is needed to tell how aggressive and concerning this should be. With that added information, treatment options would be considered.

Generally, surgery, chemotherapy and radiotherapy are the available options depending on the stage of the illness. Kindly upload the report so that we can talk about this in greater details.

To upload an image, simply click on the link to upload a file and follow the instructions. If this proves difficult, please send the image by mail to YYYY@YYYY and request that the image should be uploaded to your query.

I hope to hear from you at your earliest convenience and promise to respond as soon as possible.
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 54 minutes later
I will request the report from my Urologist's tomorrow and will upload when I have it
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 25 hours later
Brief Answer:
I will patiently await this!

Detailed Answer:

Am patiently waiting for this. Let me know when you get it.

Cheers!
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 16 hours later
My urologist will provide the patholoy report on Thursday of this week and I will send it Friday morning. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Will be on the look out for that!

Detailed Answer:

I'll be on the lookout for that. Until then, I wish you well.

Cheers