• question-icon

Is a PCR test done post 37 days of exposure conclusive?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I have unprotected vaginal sex 2 months ago. on 9th day I started to have bitter tongue in morning with white tongue and dry mouth. oral temperature of 99.5 and persistent headache and burning eyes. all these are continuing till date .
I did antibody test at 23rd day and PCR TEST at 37th day and combo test on 51st day. all came negative and undetectable. but still I am scared as all these symptoms are related to HIV as given in Internet.
in spite of these, there are couple of questions which I want to ask which might give me some strength
1) if my symptoms are due to HIV, aren't they bound to get detected in test
2) how long can these virus or antibody remain undetectable as my last test was 51st day. have you ever witnessed a case where a seven weeks post negetive patient has turned positive after 12th weeks or after that
please help. attaching my tongue photo
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
These symtoms are not related to HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

If your symptoms are related to HIV then the virus id definitely detectable in combo or PCR test after 15 days and the results are negative so nothing to worry at all because you are absolutely risk free.

It is also not possible that the result being changed to positive at 12 weeks after having negative result at 7 weeks so don't get scared or so anxious about HIV and forget about the incidence completely.

The more you think or read about HIV the more you get tensed or anxious which will further hamper ur health so get your self relaxed and move on in life. Always stay happy and healthy ahead.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
thanks doctor. .but what about the symptoms especially my toungue. persistent bitter taste with white coating. picture attached in previous mail. have you seen it. your observations please
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It might be due to vitamin B12 deficiency.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

Persistent bitter tongue with white coating might be due to deficiency of vitamin B12 so consult the physician to get it done for isolating the cause and take some multivitamin tablets as per the advice. Don't bother about the symptoms, they will settle down once you get relaxed and avoid getting too anxious or worried.

Do regular meditation or yoga and make your self busy with work so that you can able to forget the things which are unnecessarily disturbing your mind. If still find it difficult then consider for counselling services. Calm down and move on in life happily. For any help write to me and I am always here to help you.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 14 minutes later
thanks doctor for your support. I will try to calm down my mind and will try to forget the incident. hopefully some day this symptoms will go away. but I will allay the HIV fear based on my 51st day combo test.
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes definitely.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

The combo test result at 51 days is highly reliable and accurate so allay the fear of HIV and move on in life. For any help in future you can write to me any time and I am always here to help you. Wishing you happy and healthy life ahead.

Thank You
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist