Owl Image

Is a HIV test done after 25 days conclusive?

Owl Image
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Question
XXXXXXX i dun combo test 25 days after possible exposer the hiv the test comeback negative 0.14 is that mens im negative or i still could be positive in later date if yes how accurate is my test thx
Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Free from HIV 1 with a negative Combo on 25 days.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

HIV Combo test has two parts.
One part is detecting the antigens (HIV particles), another detects antibodies (produced by the body against HIV) against both HIV 1 and 2.
With a negative Combo test 25 days after the high risk activity indicates that you are free from HIV 1 infection. Antibodies appear in the circulation only after the window period (8-12 weeks), so these could not be detected until 12 weeks. Antigen part detects only HIV 1 in most of the Combo test whereas Antibody part detects both HIV 1&2 . But HIV 1 is the commonest HIV disease throughout the world other than XXXXXXX (Almost 99%). Moreover with oral sex the HIV risk is very low.
So you need not worry much.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: Is a HIV test done after 25 days conclusive? 16 minutes later
thank you for your answer bat i dont understand here is France 6 weeks after exposer to hiv the combo test is conceders as 99.98% final result i dun it at 25 days agin whats my risk thx

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV 1 free is reliable.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
By 4 weeks itself Combo test will become conclusive as it detects HIV 1 P24 Antigen.As you had it almost 4 weeks passed, you can be sure that you are free from HIV 1.
Nothing to worry.
DR S.Murugan

Follow-up: Is a HIV test done after 25 days conclusive? 11 minutes later
thanks doctor how about hiv2

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV 2 is rare and had less fulminant course

Detailed Answer:
HIV 2 is very uncommon. Less virulent. Transmission is far lesser than HIV 1. So nothing to worry.
Dr S.Murugan