Is a CT scan necessary before pregnancy with a history of miscarriage?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 12 Sep 2016 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi,

I had a pregnancy of approx a month in last December and I had a miscarriage then.

now we are planning for a Baby, can you please suggest,should I go for a CT scan of my abdomen to find out any issue with fellopean tube or uterus/ovary. Is it safe to get CT scan done when you are planning for a Baby. My current location is XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI scan is recommended if there is any doubt in transvaginal ultrasound

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in.

It will help to do a transvaginal ultrasound scan in the beginning followed by a HSG to know about any suspected problem in the uterus, ovaries and tubes.

If there is any suspected area of doubt then you can go for a MRI scan pelvis which will show better detail of the uterus and ovaries. The fallopian tubes are visualised only if they are abnormal and dilated.

CT scan is not the choice investigation for your case, though if there is any suspected abnormality in uterus and ovaries, your doctor might refer for a CT scan. However in present day MRI scan pelvis is better as long you do not have any contraindications due to which you cannot do MRI scan.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 27 minutes later
Any side effect of MRI?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
MRI scan can cause side effect if you have metallic implants or tattoos

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

There is no radiation involved in MRI scan and therefore it is safe.

You should not have steel metallic implants or tattoos in your body because it can cause burns and affect the MRI image.

MRI scan is a safe option from side effects.

Hope your query is answered.