Is a 9.7 kg in a 2 year old child normal?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Child Health
Question: My daughter is 2.7 yr old and is only 9.7 kgs. She is not showing any interest in eating food, but that is how she is always been. Not taking milk as well. Only thing she would like to eat is an apple. Not sure what to do for her wait gain.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She's a bit underweight - but don't worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi....greetings from XXXXXXX Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
I take this opportunity to tell you certain scientific facts and relieve your distress -
1. An active is a well kid even if she/ he is not eating well.
2. Development of a kid is as important as or I would say even more important than growth alone.
3. As the kids grow their interest in food decreases and interest in play activities increases so that they eat small quantity and run away to play. As parents we need to be more patient and feed than less quantity but more aliquots per day.
4. This age rather than the quantity of the food I suggest you concentrate more on the number of times you feed her and also make whatever you feed her calorie dense by adding good amount of ghee to it.
5. I suggest you not to use appetite stimulants on long run as they may cause drowsiness.
Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology