Is a 21 week negative HIV test conclusive despite symptoms?

Dr. Vidya KR

Posted on Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Is a 21 week negative ag/ab hiv test conclusive. Despite symptoms..
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
HIV infection ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I went through your query and understood your concerns.

Yes, window period in HIV is for 3 to 4 weeeks or longer, As your test at 21 week showing negative we can exclude HIV infection,

Your symptoms needs to be evaluated for cause. In early stage HIV infection is symptom free. may not produce any symptoms with in 3 or 4 months. Needs more time to affect our body.

Hope i answered your query. Feel free to ask further related query.

Wish you a good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
Thank you dr. If window period is 3 to 4 weeks or longer when does the window period end. I read 12 weeks is conclusive and it can be as long as 26 weeks if you have a compromised immune system (which blood test says i dont). Im having trouble believing my test because of symptoms that resemble ars that started after an unprotected sex encounter. I have been to many doctors And they continue to say im fine when blood work comes in. But my symptoms shows viral infection. Am i just suffering from anxiety and if so what medication would you reccomend to treat this kind of anxiety or viral infection if this is the case
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms are not due to HIV

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Thanks for follow up query.

Window period varies in few depending on immune status, thats why i have mentioned loner in my previous answer.

HIV is slow infection during initial period it hardly produces any symptoms. its totally symptom free. It acts by slowly reducing our immunity making patient more prone for other infection. I don't think with in 21 weeks you would have developed symptoms from HIV.

You are more stressed on unprotected sex and Sexually transmitted infection. Its better to avoid unprotected sex in future and use condoms.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Vidya KR 15 hours later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX you have been a great help. Last question. If window period begins 3-4 weeks after infection when is the time to take a conclusive test to rule out infection.
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
3 months after exposure

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for follow up Query.

Usually after 3 months of exposure if test is negative we can rule out HIV infection.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad