Is a 15 days Duo test for HIV conclusive?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: I am right now enjoying vacation in XXXXXXX with family. I sm feeling ok. So what'yr opinion for test at 6 week. Is it rewuired? Because 15 days vidas duo came negative.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Test done after 12 weeks becomes conclusive.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, Welcome once again.
I am happy that you are relaxing well.

Your risk for HIV is negligible only. Your DUO test at 15 days can not be considered as more conclusive. Anyhow HIV 1 (moat common) had been ruled out. You can skip further testing for HIV if you are happy. If you want to rule out both HIV 1&2 totally then you have to go for the test only after the completion of 12 weeks. Then only it would be sure that you are free from HIV beyond any doubt. Not to compromise with the same.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Then why lab doctor told me that at 15 days it is conclusive & also told not to test again?
Really now it giving me tension that if the 15 days test was not conclusive then what will happen?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tests more conclusive after certain period only.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

HIV 1 Antigen would appear in the presence of an HIV infection as early as 1st week of the infection itself. In some individuals due to its low titre, test may take time to pick up these antigens. So after 4 weeks there would not be false negative results with this test.
HIV 2 can be identified only with the antibody test as far as the tests available in market. The antibodies also may be recognized as early as 6-8 weeks, in some individuals antibody production could get delayed up to 12 weeks. So the test becomes more conclusive after 12 weeks. That is the idea.
Anyhow your risk is very low.
Dr S.Murugan