• question-icon

Is Zentel to be taken before or after a meal?

Posted on Sat, 27 Sep 2014 in Infections
Question: I have 3 Zentel pill each 400MG to kill parasite and caster oil flush the worms, I am not sure how the medicine works and when should I take it, is it before dinner right away or should I starve myself then take the medicine? and when should I take caster oil as it will flush the intake medicine.

The pharmacist said I should take one pill each week till 3 weeks.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It starves and kills the worms

Detailed Answer:

Zentil is Albendazole. It works by preventing the absorption of the nutrients mainly the sugars by the worms thereby starving the worms to death.
Only a single dose of 400 mg is sufficient. I advice my patients to take it after their dinner. There is no need for you to starve.
Zentil does not kill the eggs. Another dose of 400mg is given after a week to kill any worm hatched from the eggs.
Castor oil used to be advised in the past 'to flush out'. I do not give it to my patients as most physicians feel it is not required.
There is no harm done if you are constipated as it would produce loose motions.
If you have any further queries, I shall be happy to answer.
Have a good day!
Dr. Noble Zachariah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Noble Zachariah