Is Xarelto advisable before knee surgery?
Don't worry & take medicine regularly.
This is Dr Sameer here, cardiologist from fortis hospital.
First about your AF. AF has certain causes. If your echo & relevant blood tests are fine, that means you are having a Lone AF, that means the AF is without any associated heart disease. AF causes irregular heart rate & high chances of clot formation in heart. This clot can travel to any part of the body through the blood vessels & can cause condition like stroke because of clot going to brain.
You have been prescribed a newer anticoagulant in the form of Xarelto which helps in preventing the clot formation by keeping the blood thin. So it is very important for you to keep continuing this medication. The time for continuing this medication depends on the duration of AF. If the AF is persistent than this medication will continue life long. Wearing a holter, which is monitoring of your heart beat for 24 continuous hours helps to rule out that. So do that test.
Coming to your knee surgery. For any patient on Xarelto, doing any elective surgery needs discontinuation of Xarelto for at least 5 days. In that period you are kept on injectable blood thinner which are given subcutaneously. So keep that in mind too.
So i wish you a very good health. Avoid excess coffee intake as it can increase heart rate. Be active, avoid smoking and alcohol.
Rest don't worry you will be fine.
Thanks a lot
Dr Sameer Maheshwari
My pleasure, always will be there to help
Thank you Mr XXXX for your kind words. Will always be there to help.
Be happy, be health & keep smiling to live life to the fullest as the saying says " Start everyday with a new hope, leave bad memories behind & have faith for a better tomorrow"
Dr Sameer Maheshwari
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Meniscus tear in knee surgery
- Teeth pulled before knee surgery
- Diarrhea after knee surgery
- Post operative knee surgery
- Break tibia knee surgery
- Osteoarthritis of the knee surgery
- Smoking weed 12 hours before knee surgery
- Acl knee surgery recovery
- Arthroscopic knee surgery thyroid
- Prp for knee surgery
- Is Xarelto advisable before knee surgery?
- What causes increased heart rate and headaches?
- What causes headache, dizziness and chest discomfort while having...
- What causes sudden drop in heart rate while on Bystolic?
- What causes pain in the right side of the chest?
- What does the following TMT report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for chest pain
- What do recurrent episodes of dizziness and headaches indicate?
- What does this ultrasound report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for mild chest pain when diagnosed with AFib