Is XLIF an appropriate treatment for lumbar degenerative disc disease?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Can direct lateral spine fusion be done on a patient with previous invasive lumbar spinal fusion?
email address is YYYY@YYYY .

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can be done.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

You mean lateral lumbar interbody fusion, I guess.

In this case yes, it can be done technically and it is a minimally invasive procedure used to treat mainly degenative disc disease of lumbar column.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 23 minutes later
Sorry to bother you again, but is scar tissue an issue? I've had L4-5, L5-S1. Since this issue involves L3-4, I'm a little concerned about scar tissue interfering.
Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Scar tissue is not an issue.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Scar tissue isn't an issue in your case because it is located posterior ( back ) not lateral ( else the side ) of vertebral column and the L3-L4 level isn't affected by previous surgery.

Hope I helped you.

Best regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Erion Spaho 25 minutes later
thanks for the help
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks!

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Glad I helped you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad